Electronic Identification - Why Weigh, Record and Measure?
Weighing and Electronic Identification (EID) equipment is an investment with a high potential return. Many farmers see that return within the first year of installation.
- Monitoring and managing your animals' weights will have a direct impact on your bottom line, allowing you to make informed farm decisions to maximise animal performance and value.
- From graziers needing to hit contracted target weights, to calf rearers getting ready for sales (and everything inbetween), having accurate information at your fingertips can make thousands of dollars' difference.
- All types of stock that carry an electronic identification tag can be quickly identified and held on a software programme.
- Collect your animal data in the yard and view it there - and/or download the information to your computer later for further analysis.
A heifer exiting a FarmQuip crush set up with a
Gallagher TSi and BR series panel reader.
Overall benefits of an Electronic Identification and Weighing System
Remove human error and prevent incomplete or inaccurate records:
- No more trying to read tags visually in poor weather conditions.
- Numbers of stock on hand can be quickly verified.
- Livestock inventory is more easily managed.
Improved access to animal information
- See full weight history for actual animal in the crush.
- Some weigh scale indicators also feature the capability to record and analyse a wide range of other data related toindividual animals and groups. For example, animal health risks are more easily and accurately monitored through electronic identification.
Reduced time and effort
Equipment reads fast and efficiently, automatically matching weight to animal ID number. You can manage animal groups and records without using handwritten notebooks.
You can use your electronic identification equipment with an automatic drafter. This makes the drafting process quicker and safer - and more accurate so you can draft on weight, species or other criteria. Gallagher's top end Weigh Scale models are compatible with automatic drafters and can draft by weight and by identification number.
Stock value improvement
Identify the poor performers
Treat, allocate to different feeding group or quit early.
Accurate drenching levels
Maximise treatment efficiency and minimise treatment costs. Apply accurate drench levels based on animal’s exact weight.
Meet the market required weight range
Accurate selection of animals based on weight to maximise profit.
Monitor animals' health
- Accurate measurements of body weight gives critical information about the health of the animal. Changes in body weight can provide an early indication of animal health problems.
- EID which reduces the risk of large scale disease outbreaks such as TB; assists with managing and complying with stock movement controls and helps to reduce other agricultural impacts.
Electronic Identification and Weighing on Your Farm
Click on the topics below to find out more about weighing and electronic benefits on your farm.
Click on the topics below to find out more about weighing and EID products and the benefits of investing in EID ear tags.